The Antics of Our Crazy Lives....

The Antics of Our Crazy Lives....

Friday, November 30, 2012

A Thanksgiving Letter (Pictures will come later)

Dear Mamo, Aunt Becky and Uncle Jim -

Well we made it - our first Thanksgiving with you guys celebrating with us in Heaven.  I am not quite sure how, and I am pretty sure we had a few hiccups along the way, but we walked one foot in front of the other and did our best to honor your memory. 

Jason, the kids and I went down on Wednesday afternoon to help Papo get the dressing ready.  He was very worried about the onions and celery as he had called mom to discuss this three different times over the past week.  When we walked in the door he had already started cutting the onions.  Mamo and Aunt Becky how you dealt with that man in the kitchen is beyond me... I was ready to crack open a bottle of wine 10 minutes in.  Jason had a great time laughing at me as I tried to work with Papo.  Mamo - don't worry I double checked all expiration dates before I let him add anything to the dressing and yes I decided to not fight him when I turned around and he had decided to add more chicken broth.  I also did my best to control the seasonings so he didn't go crazy with them.  At the end of it the dressing turned out pretty good.  I was proud of myself and Papo too. 

Did you see the smiles on the kids faces when Papo took them to feed the goats? They loved it and had so much fun.  Jason and I laughed when we got in the truck and they freaked out because we told them we didn't have to put on the seat belts.  I think I need to bring them to the country more often.  I hope I didn't stress you out to much when we left the kids alone with Papo while we ran into town to pick up dinner.  They had so much fun with him.

Aunt Becky I know you were thrilled to see Christi and the kids down at the farm and all the kids playing.  I hope you didn't laugh to hard at the sass that was given by the 3 and 4 year old girls. Yes, Christi and I both know we are in big trouble. The kids had so much fun.  Did you guys see the kids riding the horses?  Wow, that brought back so many memories.  I loved it.. Little Whitney is such a wonderful addition to family.  Mamo, Casey would have sent you into a tizzy putting her up on that horse. 

Can I derail and go back to Papo for a minute - why did he choose this year to follow the directions to the turkey?  Did one of you have a talk with him?  In the future if we can get a heads up I would appreciate it. Mom, Christi and I weren't sure what to do with him.  I am sure you guys found that very humorous. 

Mamo Christi did you right with her mash potatoes... They were delicious. We had a bit of a debacle with the gravy and I am still convinced the recipe in the family cook book is missing some ingredients (MAMO) but we figured it out and everything was delicious...

The most important of all - Mom's pies!!! She did right both of you.  They were delicious!!  I know you both were proud!  Aunt Becky did you do a crazy happy dance up there when mom made a butter crisco pie crust? How many did you make and serve up there?

I hope you were proud of us - I thought we did good.  Tears were held to a minimum and smiles and fond memories were at an all time high.  I think you guys helped give Christi and I am some much needed down time and we appreciate that.  We enjoyed talking and catching up.  You were dearly missed and there is still not a day that goes by that I don't think of you but I know you are smiling down and we have the most special guardian angels.  I honestly cannot think of a more wonderful way to have spent Thanksgiving this year - then at the Farm!!!!  We love you and miss you.

Carey

No comments: