Having said all that, our Coaches are doing a great job getting the boys ready to play. Since Jason is a coach he handles most of the practices and Addison and I try to go watch as much as we can. Jason and Connor have been practicing every night whether at a formal practice, in the garage, or at the batting cages. I have been concerned that we are burning him out, and keep asking if this is to much but he says no that he enjoys it and is having fun. We have tried to make it a family affair with practices. There have been nights when I get to soft toss to Connor while he hits in to a net so Jason can watch his swing; Addison is usually out there as well, providing Connor instructions (who knew a 2 year old could know so much about baseball).
Connor had his first game Saturday and while we did not win we did pick up some positives. Connor got two at bats. The first time he struck out, but he didn't cry that is HUGE for us. We have really been talking to him about this and that it happens to everyone and that it WILL happen to him. The second time at bat he was a little more relaxed and he got a hit. It wasn't much, a blooper down the 3rd base line, but it was a hit and he got on first.
Connor is playing mostly in the middle of the field - short stop, 2nd base and some outfield. I am sure he will see lots of other positions as well, but those tend to be where I have seen him practice and play the most. He has done a great job so far learning and retaining all the different situations you have to remember when playing those positions. He did miss one at the game and stepped on the base when he should have tagged the player, but he is getting there and I am very proud of him.
We have had to change our number this year. Historically we have always gone with the number 8. No real reason that was just what we got the first year we played and that is what we stuck with. This year our numbers started at 15. Connor got number 18 and was bummed about it (what is it about a number). Jason quickly pulled up the Rangers roster and informed Connor that Mitch Mooreland was #18 on the Rangers and he was really good and a nice guy. That worked because Connor was pumped! Maybe for his birthday we will have to get him a Mitch Mooreland Rangers t-shirt.
I didn't get many pictures at the game. I was very nervous so I kept score to help me stay calm. Yes, I know he is in 1st grade, and it is only going to get worse, that is why I am learning to keep score now. Here a few pictures I did snap before the game.
| I cannot believe he turns 7 next month! I absolutely adore this little baseball player! |
| Game Face - I know you're scared! :) |
| We are embarking on the joy of white pants this season (I have heard that scotch guard is my best friend, any other suggestions would be great) |
| Our new # - Worn With Pride! |
| We can't forget Connor's #1 Fan!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment