Looking back on the happenings of the morning March 13, 2009, the events that happened are both life changing and comical. I thought I would take a moment and share them with you because once again I am reminded that my plans don't always match God's plan and most importantly God has a sense of humor.
My doctor and I had decided to induce on Friday, March 13 because I REALLY wanted her to deliver Addison and she was leaving the next day for vacation with her family (obviously I was not consulted on their family trip timing). We were suppose to arrive at 7 AM at the hospital. That worked great because we could keep our morning routine and drop Connor off at school and then head to the hospital. That worked out great!! We arrived about 6:45 AM at the hospital were shown to our room were I was told to pee in this tiny, and I mean tiny cup put on the ever so beautiful hospital gown and climb into bed. They were pretty busy and so it took some time to complete the paper work and get the iv hooked up, but by 8:30 or so the iv was in the baby monitors in place and the blood pressure monitor squeezing the life out of my arm.
About 8:45 my doctor came in and checked me and was excited to see I had progressed on my own to a 3 and was 80% thinned out. She went ahead and broke my water and ordered the pit to begin. So by 9 AM we were off and running. By 9:30 I could feel the contractions and was a little bit uncomfortable in hospital terms my pain was probably a 6 out of 10. Jason's parents had arrived and they decided they would go ahead and go to the waiting room because I was starting to hurt. I had talked to mom and told them no rush I am sure it will be after lunch sometime before anything major starts happening.
Now, if you know me then you know the most important thing to is that at the earliest possible moment I want my epidural. In fact with Connor and with Addison as I am saying hi to the nurse I am telling her the sooner the better for my epidural. I don't do pain and the epidural is what I need to survive labor. Well my doctor's rule is I need to be at 4 before we can have the epidural. That is fine, that is what the did with Connor I can do that.
At 10 AM the sweet nurse saw I was getting pretty uncomfortable so she checked me and sure enough I was a dilated to a 4 and ready to go. She immediately went looking for the epidural doctor ( I can't spell the technical name, but yes I do know it). She came back and said he should be here in about 15 to 30 minutes. Again no big deal, the contractions hurt and Jason was having to help me breath through them, but I if I could get through this I would be pain free shortly. The contractions I was having were very low and hurt, but I was getting a good 30 second to 1 minute brake in between each one so I could breath. Finally sometime between 10:30 and 10:45 the epidural doctor arrived and here we go I am getting my epidural.
To get an epidural you have to sit up and they do what they have to do. It is the most uncomfortable position for contractions, I am just saying, oh and you can't move. My pain at this point is about 20 out of 10, and I am suppose to hold still. Sure!!
Right before he puts the needle down my back I had a big contraction and started hollering "I am sorry, I have to push I have to push.....
That was the end of my epidural!!! In the words I said as the nurse told me I was not getting my epidural ... OH S*#@!!
Basically in one push Addison had crowned and the drama in our room began. In under 5 seconds nurses were in there bringing all the baby delivery instruments, the epidural doctor had disappeared before our very eyes. The poor nurse is in my face helping me breath and to keep me from pushing, telling me I am through the worst of it...I did not believe her.
Back to my doctor delivering, well that did not happen. The doctor on call had poked her head in as they were starting the epidural so she had walked back over to her office. As she walked in the office door she got the call and came running back. At one point they were calling for another doctor because the doctor wasn't going to get there, but the she did and whisked on the delivery gear got her gloves on said push and well....
that was 11:02 and Addison had arrived, all 7 lbs 9 1/2 oz of her, and somehow by the grace of God, as I am sure He sat up there laughing the whole time, I delivered without an epidural. Now one key thing to know if you decide to go this route with your little one, when they are cleaning you up make sure they use warm water and not ice cold water. That is a bit shocking I must say.
So things didn't go exactly as I planned, but they did go according to His wonderful plan and while He had much enjoyment at my expense we did have a beautiful baby girl, who I thank Him for every time I look at her.
8 years ago
2 comments:
I love it!! What a wonderful birthstory ... cussing and all. Hey, that's what's real.
oh my goodness! that is quite an experience....thanks for sharing. if this happens to me, i'm going to remember your experience as an encouragement that "if carey can do it, so can i." but i do hope for my epidural!
Post a Comment